Welcome, In this blog, we will discuss what is a barcode, its types, benefits, and the features of barcode scanner.
- What is a barcode?
- How do they work?
- Types of barcode scanners
- What are the benefits of a barcode scanner?
- Features of barcode scanners to look for when buying
What is a barcode?
A barcode is a code that consists of detailed information about a product in a visual and machine-readable form. This is decoded by the barcode scanner and then data sent to the computer. Created barcode label is a series of widths and thin parallel lines with space between the lines and some numbers or letters.
These barcodes, frequently called linear or one-dimensional, can be scanned by special optical scanners, called barcode readers.
How does a barcode scanner work?
- A barcode scanner is a device that optically scans images, barcodes, printed text, or an object and converts it to a digital image.
- A decoder identifies the barcode symbols, translates the bar, numeric, characters, and space content, and transfers the data to a computer in such a format that we can read.
- The decoder also analyses the image data provided by the sensor and sends it to the output port, and captures detailed information passed to the computer, which is linked to a host. The decoder can also send data into Excel databases.
Types of barcode scanners
There are different kinds of barcode scanners for different purposes as follows –
LED or CCD scanner:
Light Emitting Diode (LED) is also known as CCD readers, which use a series of hundreds of tiny light sensors lined up in a row reader. Each sensor measures the intensity of light rapidly in front of it. Every individual light sensor in the CCD reader is too small. The CCD reader measures emitted ambient light from the barcode, whereas pen or laser scanners measure reflected light of a specific frequency generated from the scanner itself.
The camera-based reader is just a small reader device in the form of a video camera that uses image processing techniques to decode the barcode. A video camera has hundreds of rows of sensors arranged in a two-dimensional array so that they can generate an image. Wide field-of-view readers use high-resolution industrial cameras to capture multiple barcodes simultaneously.
Pen reader scanner:
Pen reader scanner is a self-contained device that we can use to the printed barcode and lines of text read. These types of readers are made in a way that they do not require wi-fi or a computer. The photodiode produces a waveform that is used to measure the widths of the bars and spaces in the barcode.
The laser scanner is used to measure deeply at one time with the help of a laser beam and light sources. And they capture data by measuring the laser light reflected from a barcode. In laser scanners, the light emitted by the reader rapidly differs in brightness with a data matrix.
Features of barcode scanners to look for when buying
There are many options available in the market for different purposes. Selecting the right one is necessary. Before buying, once you think about where you can use the barcode scanner? Such as Industrial areas, retail stores, inventories, healthcare facilities, warehousing. Because each scanner is built for particular purposes. So, you need to know what will be best suitable for your business and the features of barcode scanners. There are some features to consider.
Hardware barcode reader
Mainly there are two types of hardware barcode readers are:-
- Imagers – there are two types of imagers –
- 1D or linear imager: It represents the data with parallel black bars and numbers which read only 1D barcodes. The most common type is the UPC barcodes. Which we get commonly on the product packaging.
- 2D Imager: For 2D barcodes, QR code is the best example because it has vertical and horizontal data, which you can scan in any direction, and also it contains up to 2000 characters.
- Laser: Basically, it is used to read the reflected light of the black and white space of a barcode.
Ideal environment and portability
It is considered the kind of environment where you use the scanner indoors or outdoors. Because some scanners work in bright natural light as dim light and some work with the faded and damaged barcode, if you need to capture all data and be up to date. Then you need to select the handheld and wireless with the connectivity of Bluetooth. But remember that all cordless scanners are not built for all work or transfer the data in a central database.
Do workers/labourers need to move freely or stand in one place to scan barcodes? Usually, we get two types of scanners-
One is a corded scanner that is physically connected to the device, such as a computer or tablet from a USB cable, and another one is the cordless scanner, which connects to the device via Bluetooth.
If you are scanning items in retail, you can probably use a scanner wired directly to the PC where your database is set up. And using a Bluetooth Barcode Scanner in a warehouse can increase efficiency and productivity immensely.
Nowadays, there is no need for any particular software or a device to be installs to send barcode details to the computer. A barcode scanner will transfer the data from the barcode to the computer, in the same way, a keyboard sends keystrokes. When you buy a barcode scanner, once you confirm it’s compatible with any software you use to manage your inventory.
Once you know what type of Barcode Scanner should be used? If you want a handheld scanner while scanning, or if you would rather take the barcode and item to the scanner hands-free. If you work in temperatures, then you will need to pay attention to the scanner operating temperature, storage, and ruggedness, if it will be subject to difficult conditions such as weather, dust, or moisture then Handheld corded scanners are very reliable and will best for internal logistics or retails. Cordless models are more convenient and expensive and ideal for warehouse operations. Also, if you are working in the healthcare industry, it is vital to make sure the scanner is disinfectant-ready.
What are the benefits of a barcode scanner?
There are various benefits to barcode scanners for users are as follows –
- Suitable for each kind of business ( small, medium & large).
- Need Low-maintenance
- It is simple to use
- It is Less in cost in compression to other scanners
- Easy, fast, and accurate mechanism to enter data into a computer system for data collection or data lookup
- Time-Saving and cost-effective
- Access to total production costs is possible
- Achieve data accuracy in the backend host application.
- It is Huge savings in terms of labour effort.
- Best suited for mobility applications.
Thus, this is the end of our discussion on the Features of barcodes scanners. Let’s know your other questions and opinions on this topic. Mention below the comment box.